Fw: Re: which c++-filt and libiberty

Mark Hymers markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri May 24 17:56:18 PDT 2002

On Fri, 24, May, 2002 at 07:46:32PM +0200, Matthias Benkmann spoke thus..

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 11:25:49 -0400
> From: DJ Delorie <dj at redhat.com>
> To: matthias at winterdrache.de
> Cc: gcc at gcc.gnu.org
> Subject: Re: which c++-filt and libiberty
>

> > Binutils and GCC both install c++-filt and libiberty. Which one should I
> > keep? Does it matter at all?
>
> For the most part, it doesn't matter.  Just pick the more recently
> released one.

Interesting.

So at the moment, that's.. (from ftp.gnu.org)

-rw-r--r--    1 0        0     12321026   Mar  8 19:50  binutils-2.12.tar.gz

-rw-r--r--    1 0        0     26885025   May 15 06:28  gcc-3.1.tar.gz

But we can't keep swapping the package order each time a new version is
released so I reckon (as it doesn't seem to be too important), that we
stick with what we do now; i.e. the binutils version being the later
installed version remains.

Does this sound reasonable? (it just seems a lot of faff to do it any
other way).  Maybe we could add a brief note about conflicting files
somewhere as well?

Mark

markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org