Just remarks

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun May 26 11:37:23 PDT 2002

On Sun, May 26, 2002 at 05:32:40PM +0200, Peter Sentveld wrote:
> First of all i would like to thank all the people who made an effort
> to the LFS book. Its clear, detailed and i learned a lot of it.

I'm very pleased to hear that.

> - the times in the book are way off the times it takes when building
> LFS on a P90/128MB. I spend a few nights waiting... Maybe its possible
> to start the book that the times are from a P3/766?!

Actually the times are the average of a few systems (533 mhz, 750 mhz, 1ghz
and another one). They are going to be redone very soon: as soon as the
current batch of waiting package upgrades are going into the book (most
notably the gcc-3.1 upgrade) we'll redo all of the times and disk space
requirement, and this time list what systems are used. People with
different configurations can then submit their own times to be taken into
account.

> - After the first boot i ended up with 2 errors.
>   1 involving swap partition. I never did a mkswap, i cant find it in
> the LFS book (my eyes aren't what they used to be (not kidding)) and i
> think its worth mention.

You're using the swap partition you have setup on Redhat already (you can
share swap partitions just fine). And you're right it should be explained.
Added to the bug tracking database at http://bugs.linuxfromscratch.org to
be dealt with in the near future.

>   2 couldn't start the ath0 device. I didn't compile it in the kernel
> but (default) as a module. I think its worth a lttle paragraph that
> you (for now) on your one when using modules.

Actually, if you use modules we assume you know how to use them. I think
that's safe to say. At the least people should have read documentation
about modules which would tell them that if you want to use drivers or
bring up hardware from modules you need to load them first. Or, they can
activate the kernel's automatic module loading feature.

But it can perhaps be made more clear. I'll think about it. The thing is we
don't want to do too much hand-holding for beginners (it's just not our
target audience and the book isn't a good place to teach these kind of
things. We'd literally be writing a book within a book)

> I'm sure i'm not the only one with the problems above. I think its
> gonna save LFS beginners a bit of frustration if it booting the first
> time without errors.

Look at it this way: if you get a lot of errors during the bootup stage,
you will have to go and try to fix them (hopefully without asking for help
right away) which will teach you a lot more than the book will ever teach
you if it's all clearly spelled out. It's a tough way to learn, but it's
an effective one for sure. Yes that's not really our answer to everything,
but it's something to consider as an extra reason why we don't explain
every single little thing that can be explained.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org