Fwd: static gawk (chapter5)

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Sun May 26 13:47:13 PDT 2002

On Sun, 26 May 2002, Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> On Sun, May 26, 2002 at 02:57:03PM -0400, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> > Actually it's not entire invalid. We still have the two gawk's, now they're
> > just both dynamically linked (installed by chapter 6's gawk installation)
>
> Redicuss this: should it still be removed? It's part of the regular
> installation now so not a left-over from chapter 5.
>
> Keep or remove?

 I raised the original bug, I don't see that there is any need to remove
`gawk-3.whatever' when it's linked dynamically, because it is hard linked
to `gawk' so it isn't taking up any extra space.

 The original problem was that we were left with a static gawk-3.1 which
was taking up a big chunk of space. The static `gawk' was rm'd and
replaced by a dynamically linked version, leaving the binary in place as
`gawk-3.1'.

 I haven't yet tested the new way of doing things, but provided both
gawk's end up as dynamically linked then the bug should be closed.

Ken

--
Listen to others, even to the dull and ignorant;
     for you too may be a Manager some day.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org