Just remarks

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Sun May 26 17:31:23 PDT 2002

Davy Brion wrote:
> On Monday 27 May 2002 00:15, Ian Molton wrote:
>
> why not just leave it out alltogether?
> the odds of those numbers actually being close to being right for ur
> system are small and besides, is it really _that_ important that the
> user knows how long it might compile on his system only to find out
> later that it may have taken twice as long, or even more, or a lot
> less, or ....

I believe the numbers are useful.  If nothing else, the times are
relative to each other within the book.  If my times are consistently
higher or lower than the book's numbers, I can mentally adjust.  The
accruracy of the numbers is not terribly important, but they do give a
feel for how long something takes.  If the book says the kernel takes 10
minutes and glibc takes 70 minutes, that tells me a lot, even if my
system compiles the kernel in 5 (or 20) minutes.
   -- Bruce

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org