Just remarks

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon May 27 04:58:17 PDT 2002

On Mon, May 27, 2002 at 12:03:32AM -0400, timothy bauscher wrote:
> I don't see the point in mentioning build times.
> I'm sure they were added for a reason... care to
> explain?

The reason was quite simple: giving you a rough estimate on how long it's
going to take. Stress the "rough estimate". They're of course not accurate
but that's not a big deal. If they're off by a bunch of minutes, it'll
still give you a figure you can do something with. If you see Glibc taking
46 minutes, it may be even more for you if you have a slower system than
the ones used to calculate those numbers so you may decide to do it
overnight, or before going to work, or have dinner.

The alternative is coming up with less meaningless phrases like Marc
suggested "Glibc takes a long time. You can probably eat dinner, have a cup
of coffee and read a newspaper. Perhaps even go to bed".

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org