Just remarks

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon May 27 05:00:47 PDT 2002

On Mon, May 27, 2002 at 12:13:20PM +0100, Ian Molton wrote:
> > The idea is to get a lot more stats than the current 3 systems. That
> > way the average will be more realistic (this means we need a few lower
> > end systems too like in the 200 and 300 Mhz ranges).
>
> Um. I dont see how you figure that.
>
> If you take dozens of stats for 1GHz machines you get a good average for
> 1GHz machines.
>
> If you take the average of any old machine, you get a meaningless
> figure.

I don't agree that the averages are totally meaningless. Not accurate but
that's ok, nobody expects them to be accurate right down to the minute. If
they're off by 10 minutes that's still ok. If you see a list of used
machines you can mentally adjust the average and add a few minutes to it,
or substract to get a number that may be closer to your system.

It's all of just giving a ballpark figure of how long it is going to take,
along with approximately how much disk space you're going to need. If you
can't use the info then ignore it. Simple as that ;)

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org