Just remarks

Ian Molton spyro at armlinux.org
Mon May 27 05:43:14 PDT 2002

On Mon, 27 May 2002 08:00:47 -0400

> It's all of just giving a ballpark figure of how long it is going to
> take, along with approximately how much disk space you're going to
> need. If you can't use the info then ignore it. Simple as that ;)

Well, a 500MHz PC takes **roughly** half as long as a 1GHz box (I know,
I tried it)

below 500MHz, things like disc subsystem (PIO, UDMA, 33, 66), memory
type / speed, all conspire to make build time estimates vary wildly.

and once build times for packages go over 45 mins I dont think most
people care.

If we do add multiple speeds, I *dont* want to see 5 wasted lines at the
top of each page in the book.

I think it'd be better to give RELATIVE compile times for thge packages.

that is, build all the packages, and group them into packages that take
similar times to build.

so we would have:

glibc: class A (takes forever)
gcc: class B (takes a while)
kernel: class C (takes a while but not too bad)
lilo: class G (nanoseconds)

this way, people get the best estimates - once they have built any
package in a given category, they can expect packages in a similar
category to take a similar time.

AND you dont have to get stats from dozens of machines - a machine that
compiles the kernel in 2 hours will probably do gcc in about 2.5 hours.
One that does the kernel in 2 mins will probably do gcc in about 3 or 4.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org