Just remarks

Seth W. Klein sk at sethwklein.net
Mon May 27 08:39:48 PDT 2002

Ian Molton <spyro at armlinux.org> wrote:

> On 27 May 2002 13:52:31 +0200
> Marc Heerdink <marc at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
>
> > Relative build times seem a lot more useful to
> > me, but can't we just say "glibc takes a looooooong time to compile"
>
> no, but with the exception of packages like glibc (which is on its own
> as far as taking forever to compile, you can say
>
> package a: class C
> package b: class C
>
> therefore package b will probably take 5 mins, because you just compiled
> package a and it took about 5 mins.

Reading this thread, i was starting like something very like the above.
How about specifing build times as something like:

very short
short
medium
long
very long

Chapter 2, or whatever that chapter is which tells how to unpack and
when to delete sources and which no one reads, would have a paragraph
saying something like,

"Compile times are listed as very short, short, medium, long, and
very long. On a typical 1GHz single processor machine, very short is
a few seconds and very long is about 45 minutes. On a typical 133MHz
machine, very long is several hours. On that 486 hauled out of the
closet, very long could be a week."

cheers,
Seth W. Klein
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org