why gcc-3.1?

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Mon May 27 10:49:25 PDT 2002

On Mon, 27 May 2002 13:13:49 -0400 Don Smith <don_smith at att.net> wrote:

> Actually, the main reason for upgrading to gcc-3.x is that it follows
> the latest C++ specification put out by Bjarne Stroustrup a couple of
> (5!) years ago, The C++ Programming Language, Third Edition:

Well, actually that 5 year old specification is the ANSI C++ standard. And
it is not put out by Bjarne Stroustrup (although he did, being the
original inventor of C++, have a major influence) but by a committee."The
C++ Programming Language" is not and was never intended to be a
specification of C++. It is an in-depth discussion of many of the
language's features and design decisions but it is not a complete
specification that compiler writers could use to implement a C++ compiler.
MSB

--
I am Pentium of Borg. Precision is futile.
Prepare to be approximated!

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org