Just remarks

Ian Molton spyro at armlinux.org
Mon May 27 13:30:47 PDT 2002

On Mon, 27 May 2002 22:03:43 +0200
Andreas Lübke <Andreas.Luebke at web.de> wrote:

> I'm using an 450MHz AMD K6-III with 192MB RAM and found the
> compilation times
> given in LFS-Book 3.2 very close to mine.

The K6-III is a compiling monster. I had one and compiling stuff was a
task it *excelled* at. (Mine was a 400)

> Actually, compiling is not really a matter of processor power!

Thats not quite true.

Compiling puts stress on ALL the bits of a system (obviously not video,
etc. but you get the point).

I find I use about 80-90% CPU time compiling stuff.

use make -j4 when building some stuff - can be... er... instructive :)
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org