Just remarks

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon May 27 17:22:04 PDT 2002

On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 01:26:05AM +0200, Marc Heerdink wrote:
> Suppose you're installing glibc and you're wondering why it takes so
> long to compile and how long it will continue. Then you see the
> estimated build time, 9 bashies. You'd have to recompile bash to find
> out how long that is.

Well we'd write a line or two before starting the bash installation to note
down how long it's taking and remember it (tell people to write it down on
a piece of paper) so they can do the math.

> The very short, short, medium, long, very long approach seems a lot
> better to me, because someone can make a rough estimate for the time
> required (eg. medium is one hour on a 486 100, 5 minutes on Athlon 1GHz,
> so about 20 minutes on a P2 350).

I'm still coining the term SBU (Static Bash Unit). If Glibc takes 10 SBUs
then you can see that it's a looong time. Even if bash itself took forever,
then Glibc will take 10 times forever, which is long by any definition.
Let's first do some builds (i'm starting one after I've done all my
emailing) and see how things end up.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org