Collecting SBUs now

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon May 27 18:24:33 PDT 2002

Some notes on how I'm doing it (just for good order in case you're
wondering).

To get collective timing of all command to install a package you want to
put them in a block, like this (bash installation example):

time {
	./configure --enable-static-link --prefix=$LFS/static \
		--with-curses &&
	make &&
	make install
}

Or a one-liner version:

time { ./configure --enable-static-link --prefix=$LFS/static --with-curses && make && make install;  }

Don't forget the ; at the end of 'make install' if you put } on the same
line. Without the ; you'll get a PS2 prompt waiting for more input.

Well then you get the 'real' time we're concerned about how long Bash
takes. Convert it to seconds and use it to calculate the rest.

My SBU is 70 seconds (that's without any optimization of course, so using
the packages default whatever it might be. -O2 in this case).
Binutils takes 137 seconds, so 137/70 = 1.96 SBU. Let's round off and
Binutils = 2 SBU

If everybody who has the time can do this and reply to this thread I'll
gather up all the SBUs and average those and inclusion in the book.

Ian, I'm sure you're ok with averaging SBUs then right?

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org