Collecting SBUs now

Ronald Hummelink maillist at hummelink.xs4all.nl
Wed May 29 03:49:30 PDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-05-29 at 04:21, Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 03:22:11AM +0200, Ronald Hummelink wrote:
> > Linux 2.4.18		:  0.53 (Note: seemed exceptionally slow)
>
> When unpacking a large archive like linux you're best off waiting a little
> while for caches to flush. When I run the install commands on linux, it
> taks a few seconds before it actually starts doing anything while waiting
> for the cache. Last time I tried it, it took about 8 to 10 seconds to
> flush. Quite a long time, which may explain your numbers too.

Possibly, but the difference with earlier attempts was that i now had to
add the time construction to the commands, so i had more time after
extracting the tarball then normal, but this time i had no choice but
work in loop mounted FS which doesn't help disk io too much (de file
resides on a fat32 filesystem). (normal compilation is fine i think,
Linux' brilliant caching causes the hardrive to be near idle during
compiles)

Redid it nevertheless, forcing a 'sync'
Linux 2.4.18	:  0.09
Glibc 2.2.5	: 38.72

This appears really slow to me, i thought i used something like 15-20
minutes on normal builds with gcc 2.95.x but if it is somewhat in line
with what others have...
If not i will do a rebuild when i get back a new harddisk from
Informatique on a normal partition and with a normal swap partition
instead of file.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org