Collecting SBUs now

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed May 29 03:56:17 PDT 2002

On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 12:49:30PM +0200, Ronald Hummelink wrote:
> Redid it nevertheless, forcing a 'sync'
> Linux 2.4.18	:  0.09
> Glibc 2.2.5	: 38.72

My linux gives 0.02 and Glibc 19.17

> This appears really slow to me, i thought i used something like 15-20
> minutes on normal builds with gcc 2.95.x but if it is somewhat in line
> with what others have...
> If not i will do a rebuild when i get back a new harddisk from
> Informatique on a normal partition and with a normal swap partition
> instead of file.

That will greatly benefit. Especially if you are using swap, swap in a file
is slower than a dedicated partition. Same goes for loopback filesystem.

Glibc and linux copy a lot of files to various places so disk I/O plays a
big role. When I run an LFS installation from within Vmware using a virtual
disk (which ends up being something like a special form of loopback
filesystem) installations are very slow, especially when copying a lot of
statically linked programs (think chapter 5's fileutils, sh-utils,
textutils).

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org