Collecting SBUs now

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed May 29 16:26:30 PDT 2002

On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 03:43:11PM +0200, Ronald Hummelink wrote:
> Should the book use just 1 set of times or the average of many users?
> Should the book use 1 carefully crafted build situation or the average
> of what users may happen to have?

That remains to be seen yet. Our test is still under way. If all SBUs are
rather similar then taking a average wouldn't be a bad thing just to get
one number in the book. If not, we'll have to rethink this. Perhaps go back
to simple classes that were suggested before like Class A taking very long
(glibc/gcc) to Class D/E which takes practically no time at all (kernel, gzip)

> I think the last for both questions, but will let Gerard decide, it is

Then we have to ask what do we use for a carefully crafted build situation.
Practically it's easier for an LFS book editor to use his times in such
case since when a package is added to the book, SBUs can then be updated
immediately.  Also it's no rocket science. Coming up or building a
special computer just so SBUs would work out is overkill.

> his book after all. He is free to use my results, he is free to send
> them to /dev/null.
> I will submit results using my replacing hardisk if it is still useful
> to do so when i get it.

Sure go for it. It'll give us a better idea how SBUs work practically.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org