Collecting SBUs now

Michael Brömer mib at telebel.de
Thu May 30 10:59:18 PDT 2002

Am Donnerstag, 30. Mai 2002 18:20 schrieben Sie:

> I'm going to build a dual-processor system next week.  Is there interest
> in SBUs for it?
Just send mine ;-)

> If so, can someone suggest parameters for building?  For
> example, bash doesn't like to be built using make -j, so the SBU will not
> reflect the dual processors.  Should other packages be built using make
> -j?
MAKE="make -j" means start as many processes as you like, it
does not always work. Last time i tried that glibc failed .

I use MAKE="make -j2" most of the time. -j3 works fine too, but
it is a few seconds slower if i compile an entire LFS system.
Overall there is not much to gain by starting more processes than
you got CPUs if you got enough RAM.

For me the only (LFS) package at the moment that does not like to
be compiled in parallel is groff.

> Stats on the machine:
> ECS D6VAA motherboard
> Two P3 933 MHz (133 MHz FSB)
> 512 MB PC133 RAM
> Nvidia TNT2 32 MB RAM
> Maxtor 40 GB 5400 RPM hd
> Samsung 80 GB 7200 RPM hd

Dual-PIII 733MHz is as solid as my Dual-Athlon,
just not that fast ;-(=)

Michael
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org