Collecting SBUs now

jsmaby at virgo.umeche.maine.edu jsmaby at virgo.umeche.maine.edu
Thu May 30 11:17:14 PDT 2002

> what               yours            mine
> 1 SBU              95.28s          105.00s
> Total build        60 SBU's         36 SBU's
> Static GCC 3.1     11.26             5.82
> Glibc 2.2.5        14.17             7.07
> GCC 3.1            12.05             6.09

> Did you use just one CPU?

Yes.  Using multiple CPUs will lead to inconsistant results.
Some builds paralize better than others.  In particular, packages
that have bloated configure scripts (like bash) won't get as much
use out of two cpus.  The paralizability also depends on how the
Makefile was written.  Your static bash didn't appear to use the
second cpu at all from our comparison, while the big GNU packages
you show paralized quite well.  Since every thing depends on that
static bash, your whole results are a little less than twice
what they should be.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org