Collecting SBUs now

Ian Molton spyro at armlinux.org
Thu May 30 16:38:05 PDT 2002

On Thu, 30 May 2002 19:12:19 -0400 (EDT)
Bill Maltby LFS Related <lfsbill at wlmcs.com> wrote:

> > > 2 x 120mm Pabst case fans (attached to 7V)
> >
> > I dont remember who it was involved in the last time we talked about
> > this, but the '7V hack' is a REALLY bad idea.
>
> I do believe, IIRC, it was Mr. Declan. And with good points too.

Just so I know (I cant guage it from your remark, sorry), do you mean
the good points as in 'why you shouldnt connect across 7V and 12V', or
the other side of the argument?

If the latter, I will state here that connecting across 5 and 12V lines
risks /severe/ damage to your hardware should the fan fail elecrically,
and also increases the risk of the fan failing to start once it gets
dusty.

if you MUST slow your fans down, rather than buy quiet fans, /please/ do
it properly and buy a voltage regulator (or, if your fan will work on
one, a chopper)
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org