netkit /etc/services vs port-assignments from IANA

Scot Mc Pherson behomet at earthlink.net
Fri May 31 16:31:47 PDT 2002

"Erika Pacholleck" <pacholleck at nexgo.de> wrote in message
news:20020531192305.GA412 at taiwaz.rune.de...
> [28.05.2002] Scot Mc Pherson <-- :
> > I wanted to know what everyone thought about replacing the netkit's
version
> > of /etc/services with the current one at IANA.  There is a HUGE
discrepency
> > between them, and its a fairly important db of port assignments.  I have
> > already done so on all my systems, but was wondering if it shouldn't at
> > least be mentioned in the book if not included as an instruction.
>
> I downloaded it and compared what it all lists - shocking ...
> For now I see two things:
> 1. convert from dos file format
> 2. change to format which `man services` says

This may very well be correct, but quite honestly all I did was comment out
the beginning and the end, and replaced /etc/services.  It has been this way
for nearly a week and I haven't run into any problems at all. In fact, when
I do a /usr/local/sbin/iptables -L   the output names the aliases of all the
ports. With the old /etc/services, this was not true, but would list only
port numbers where names and aliases were missing.

Scot Mc Pherson

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org