Space saver: mount --bind mention in the book?

Richard Lightman richard at nezumi.plus.com
Tue Oct 1 03:14:19 PDT 2002

* Ian Molton <spyro at f2s.com> [2002-10-01 10:15]:
> On Mon, 30 Sep 2002 21:41:13 +0000 (UTC)
> gerard at linuxfromscratch.org (Gerard Beekmans) wrote:
>
> > The point I'm trying to make is that I don't agree with storing
> > anything on the host system.
>
> fair enough.
>
> I think its personal preference.

Here is my personal preferance, which both of you might be happier
with:

Instead of just adding an LFS partition, add at least two. Mount them
at $LFS and /mnt/backup. Download the sources into /mnt/backup. Compile
the static stuff on $LFS, umount /mnt/backup, and mount it at
$LFS/mnt/backup.

BTW, I WANT the most commonly used files in the middle of the
partition. If they were at the start, then the most common head
movements start at the beginning, and could have to cross the whole
partition. If they started in the middle, at worst, it would only have
to go half way. Some ancient floppy disk formats used to keep there
meta data on the middle track for this reason.

Richard
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org