Perl compile error - not yet resolved

dagmar at speakeasy.net dagmar at speakeasy.net
Tue Oct 1 14:56:24 PDT 2002

On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Greg Schafer wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 08:31:43PM -0600, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I just encountered a problem getting Perl to compile. I haven't resolved it
> > yet, still looking into it but I've hit a wall at the moment. Maybe somebody
> > has a clue:
> >
> > root:/usr/src/perl-5.8.0# make
> > `sh  cflags "optimize='-O2'" pp_sys.o`  pp_sys.c
> >           CCCMD =  cc -DPERL_CORE -c -fno-strict-aliasing -I/opt/local/include
> > -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O2 -Wall
> > cc1: warning: changing search order for system directory "/usr/local/include"
> > cc1: warning:   as it is the same as non-system directory "/opt/local/include"
> > cc1: warning: changing search order for system directory "/usr/include"
> > cc1: warning:   as it is the same as non-system directory "/opt/local/include"
>
> What's with the "-I/opt/local/include" ? Not sure where that came from. The
> fact that you get the "changing search order" warning smells a bit fishy. This
> possibly broke the perl configure step.
>
> As an aside, gcc-3.2.1 will handle the "includes search order" thing a
> lot better.

I agree about the /opt/local/include thing.  Something may have gone
slightly awry when gcc was being built for it to decide that
/opt/local/include was a system directory.  It's possible that those
symlinks Gerard refers to are stuffing up some of gcc's configuration
routines.  Something about making those kind of symlinks is prickling the
back of my brain but I can't lay a finger on it at the moment.

Unless there's something that perl _absolutely must have_ sitting in
/opt/local/include, I'd yank those symlinks out, try to clean up the
resultant mess with the include/ headers, and try building perl again.
Symlinking chunks of header files around was something I swore off of
doing before the 2.0 kernels came out.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org