Perl compile error - not yet resolved

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Oct 1 18:19:09 PDT 2002

On October 1, 2002 10:29 am, Adam Trilling wrote:
> No, these are not false warnings.  They are a result of the symlinks.
>
> This is a good one, if I understand it correctly...
>
> cc1 searches for /opt/local/include.  But /opt -> /usr, so
> /opt/local/include -> /usr/local/include.  But since /usr/local -> /usr,
> /opt/local -> /usr and /opt/local/include -> /usr/include.  Is anyone else
> having scary visions of circular symlinks?

The way I constucted the local symlink is it being "." in the /usr directory

so /opt/local/include becomes /usr/./include

Now, I understand where the complaints come from because it resolves to the
same directory which happens to be a system directory, etc. I didn't quite
understand how it could cause the incompatible struct errors since it's not
that it's finding alternative header files that cause the problems.

However you were right on the ball. Removing the /opt symlink resulted in Perl
to build properly. I still find it strange since I used to use this /opt
symlink before without problems. Well that was with other software versions
so that explains a few things. I'll go back and try to figure out why it
caused the problems. Right now it looks as though it's GCC who's ignoring
certain directories because maybe it thinks those files are supposed to be
there.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org