glibc-2.3 is out

Tushar Teredesai tush at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 3 22:53:18 PDT 2002

Greg Schafer wrote:

>On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 10:55:44PM +0200, da02043 wrote:
>

>>hmm strange...
>>
>>I have been running glibc-2.2.92 for a while and it has been working without a
>>hitch, but glibc-2.3 makes everything (litteraly.. even my bash scripts)
>>segfault.
>>
>>The installation is identical because i install from a script...
>>
>>oh well... ill look into it some more and if i find the smoking gun i will let
>>you guys know.... Ill start tomorrow though, its getting late...
>>

>I can now confirm that glibc-2.2.93 works and glibc-2.2.94 does not. In other
>words, something changed in between those 2 releases which has somehow made
>the libnss stuff incompatible.
>
>This is a really huge pain for LFS. Now we are going to have to jump thru'
>hoops just to run a static bash shell (linked on a glibc-2.2.5 or earlier
>based system). Unless someone figures out a painless way to make it work..

Confirmed:(

While checking out the glibc FAQ, I saw this
<http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/FAQ.html#s-2.22>. I am not an expert
so cannot say if that is the problem, but can a similar approach be
followed when compiling the static bash? One problem is that the host
most probably won't have static versions of the nss libs, so:( So we
might as well compile the static version of the new glibc on the host
(with a different prefix of course) and link static bash against it.

Off to zzzZZZ...

--
Tushar Teredesai
LFS ID: 1377