bash and glibc2.3

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Fri Oct 4 07:44:26 PDT 2002

On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 12:47:35PM +0100, Lee Hancock wrote:
> arrhh i don't think glibc2.3 is binary compatible with 2.2, everything
> keeps segfaulting. Thought I got around it, but no :( Think the only way
> around it is to build the /static directory from a glibc2.3 environment.
> I am only on a 56k so i cant try redhat 8, too big to download. So for
> now i giving up, until the next time ;)

Yes, I'm seeing the same thing... If I could just bloody well figure out
which part of the 2.2.93->2.2.94 patch causes the problem.. I've tried the
obvious thing by reverting any changes that look related to libnss but no
dice..

Thought I'd try and actually debug the segfaults in gdb (long shot!). My
host LFS has the debug symbols stripped. No probs, just compile glibc-2.2.5
again and install into say /opt/glibc-2.2.5-debug then compile and link some
static apps against this new glibc.. well, guess what? those binaries don't
segfault!  Arggh!  There is obviously still a problem though as bash still
gives  the  "I have no name!"  prompt.

I'll have to try again with an unstripped host and see if it makes a
difference.. This is becoming annoying..

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org