packages that are out of date

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Oct 4 13:32:54 PDT 2002

On October 4, 2002 01:39 pm, Chris Cheney wrote:
> The course I am in at Uni required us to install LFS. I decided to try
> out 4.0-RC1 and it seems to work fairly well (other than the gcc patch
> issue).  However, I did notice that a lot of the packages are not up to
> date.  Many of the packages that are not current were updated in the
> past month, which is to be expected.

<cut>

Aside from what Matthew told you (Matthew didn't CC you, I just sent you a
copy of his email), we can't keep doing package updates to the book. There
comes a point close a new release that we need to freeze package updates and
do some thorough testing of the then current packages. If we keep updating as
packages are released, you'll never know if there's a problem with something
because we haven't had the time to test it.

As soon as LFS-4.0 is released (sometime this weekend if all goes according to
plan) CVS will be updated with all the latest packages and we'll start
testing those. As long as the versions you mentioned are on the (as we know
it) official project's website. There are a few updates we won't be doing
quite yet (such as Glibc because it won't work with GCC-3.2 and tar because
it's not on ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/tar/ yet).

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org