packages that are out of date

Mark Hymers markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Oct 4 16:13:31 PDT 2002

On Fri, 04, Oct, 2002 at 05:47:46PM -0500, Chris Cheney spoke thus..
> It seems that gnu takes a very long time to update certain packages on
> their official site, for example tar, the version on ftp.gnu.org is from
> Sept 05, 1999, and the version on alpha.gnu.org is from Sept 26, 2001.
> I noticed this email when looking for why tar in LFS was so old:
>
> http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-dev/2002/08/0153.html
>
> It appeared that tar was going to be updated, but it looks like that didn't
> happen.

IIRC there was a *long* discussion about that resulting in us deciding
that we'd stick with the declared stable versions in the book.  (OTOH
you are perfectly free to use whichever versions you want, I've been
using tar-1.13-25 for quite a while now in my builds).

> gzip is another package that ftp.gnu.org hasn't updated its version in
> several years, but that other distributions have been using
> alpha.gnu.org's version instead.

The gzip people say that gzip-1.4 is due out soon (yes, I know they've
been saying it for a while but these things take time).  Also, since we
updated the book to use the 1.2.4b patch, the only *known* gzip security
issue is fixed in the version LFS uses.  I don't really see that there
is much call to use gzip-1.3.x unless someone has a specific reason for
us to upgrade the book.

> For binutils I think most distributions use the versions available at
> ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/devel/binutils instead of the version at
> ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/binutils

This is something that has interested me in the past when I've seen the
binutils-linux release notes (often to LKML or the gcc ml).  I don't
know enough about the compiler toolchain to comment really, although it
is something that might be interesting to look into (i.e. why is there a
seperate binutils release for linux; now that I've said that someone is
bound do jump in with the answer!)

Mark

"But Yossarian *still* didn't understand either how Milo could buy eggs
 in Malta for seven cents apiece and sell them at a profit in Pianosa
 for five cents."
     Catch 22, Joseph Heller
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org