glibc-2.3 is out

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Fri Oct 4 23:39:47 PDT 2002

On Sat, Oct 05, 2002 at 02:15:32AM -0400, Adam Trilling wrote:
> I have a very simple question:
>
> how do distro makers get around problems like the current glibc stuff?
>
> It must be possible to upgrade from glibc-2.2.5 to glibc-2.3, because
> otherwise disasterous things would happen when you tried to upgrade a
> binary distro (RedHat, Mandrake, etc).  Especially since glibc is
> distributed as an RPM for these systems.  If we're having this much
> trouble compiling glibc and having stuff break, imagine what might happen
> if you swap out the binaries.  /me turns white with fear

In theory, coz glibc-2.3 is binary compatible with older glibc's, you should
be able to just install it over the top and all existing binaries should
just work.

The problem we are seeing is related to certain static binaries, which is
rather unfortunate for LFS as the whole LFS build methodology relies on static
binaries working.

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org