glibc-2.3 is out

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Sat Oct 5 04:00:38 PDT 2002

On Sat, 5 Oct 2002 14:57:25 +1000 Greg Schafer <gschafer at zip.com.au>
wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 09:51:40PM +0200, Matthias Benkmann wrote:
> > On Fri, 4 Oct 2002 15:26:00 +1000 Greg Schafer <gschafer at zip.com.au>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > This is a really huge pain for LFS. Now we are going to have to jump
> > > thru' hoops just to run a static bash shell (linked on a glibc-2.2.5
> > > or earlier based system). Unless someone figures out a painless way
> > > to make it work..
> >
> > Try
> >
> > sed -e 's/nss/FOO/g' -e 's/libn/FOOB/g' /static/bin/bash >patched-bash
> >
> > and see if patched-bash works. This is a brutal hack but in my test
> > strace shows no references to any libnss anymore (there's still a
> > reference to libc.so.6, so it may still be necessary to make this
> > available through LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
>
> Shame on you MSB! That is one seriously dirty hack! But I like it :)
>
> Only trouble is, I couldn't make it work. Maybe my sed is broken or
> sumthin.

I'm very disappointed. You have a broken sed (overoptimization? tweaks?
bug in new glibc?) and you're NOT going to investigate????? Is this really
Greg Schafer I'm talking to here ? ;-)

It definitely works fine with my sed (3.02 compiled with gcc 2.95, linked
against glibc 2.2.4, no extra optimization) and it should at least have
some effect on your system. Please check with "strings /bin/sed|grep libn"
that there is at least one occurence of "libn" and "nss". And of course
the usual "make sure you made no typo, copy'n'paste if possible" applies).

MSB
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org