[roland at redhat.com: Re: More info on static binary/libnss* mystery]

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Oct 7 15:01:31 PDT 2002

On October 7, 2002 03:06 pm, Greg Schafer wrote:
> If you want to go down this path of not patching glibc, then another
> alternative is to remove 2 symlinks, yes, that is all:-
>
> rm /lib/libnss_{compat,files}.so.2

Or just rename the symlinks. Or the link's destination file. Either way we
know that programs can run without NSS functionality and the libs don't need
to be present for the programs to compile properly so this may be the easiest
and safest solution. Run chapter 6 without /lib/libnss* files present (or
renamed, or symlinks renamed) and at the end when everything has been
re-compiled dynamically undo the renaming and the system should work as
expected.

That's the general idea anyways.

Now hoping that nothing requires user id to name mapping ie; hardcodes a
username such as 'root' when running 'make install'

I often see that the /bin/install program is used to install files and those
packages pass "-o root -g root" which will fail unless we address all those
issues too individually. That'd become very messy too.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org