grub and alpha tar

Michael Wahlbrink mimi.ka at gmx.de
Tue Oct 8 00:48:56 PDT 2002

Tushar Teredesai wrote:
> Timothy Bauscher wrote:
>
>> There was a discussion a while back about including grub
>> in the book. We've frozen LILO, and I'd rather not see an
>> old version of LILO in the next book release. I think that
>> now is a perfect time to switch to grub.
>>
> Yes, please:)
>
>> And, not so important: what about tar-1.13-25?
>>

> I think that will create problems since there will be requests for more
> 'non-stable' versions to be included.

Yes, but the --exclude option of the "stable" tar is -I will say-
'broken or unuseable." So there are two ways I will see:
1. use the 'non-stable' but very stable tar version, which will also
make the lfs patch unnecessary (preferred)
2. enhance the lfs patch, that the tar is no longer broken! That would
be the way we also do with other packages...
The state we have at the moment is more or less inacceptable (at the tar
thing)!
I'm using the nonstable version and does not have had any problems since
nearly a year!!

regards
micha

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org