grub and alpha tar

Tushar Teredesai tush at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 8 08:21:50 PDT 2002

Michael Wahlbrink wrote:

> 1. use the 'non-stable' but very stable tar version, which will also
> make the lfs patch unnecessary (preferred)
> 2. enhance the lfs patch, that the tar is no longer broken! That would
> be the way we also do with other packages...
> The state we have at the moment is more or less inacceptable (at the
> tar thing)!

I would prefer 2. That same policy can also be applied to other
non-stable software. For things that are broken in the current stable
version, backport the patch from the non-stable version.

Like the book says, "Your distro, your rules". So users can install any
version they want, the book follows the official version.

This should be another thread: I would like to suggest having individual
patches with explainations on what each patch deos instead of a mega patch.

--
Tushar Teredesai
LFS ID: 1377

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org