whoami: cannot find username for UID 0

da02043 da02043 at mail.ikasths.dk
Thu Oct 10 11:24:10 PDT 2002

Hi all...

I guess the subject speaks for itself... :-)

I just finished ch 5 and continued with the installation of the headers and
glibc-2.3 without problems. I removed /lib/libnss_{files, compat}.so.2 to
avoid bash segfaults. Only problem is that some programs (sysvinit and
util-linux) wont 'make install' because 'whoami' wont return the username.
Does anybody have any suggestions? How exactly does whoami find the username?
I was thinking that maybe i have a malformed /etc/passwd file but i can find
nothing wrong with it. Anyway, here it is:

root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
bin::1:1:bin::
sshd::100:100:sshd::

Thanks in advance....