whoami: cannot find username for UID 0

Arjan Oosting ajoostin+lfsnews at students.cs.uu.nl
Thu Oct 10 12:29:58 PDT 2002

da02043 at mail.ikasths.dk (da02043) wrote in
news:200210102024.10364.da02043 at mail.ikasths.dk:

> I just finished ch 5 and continued with the installation of the
> headers and glibc-2.3 without problems. I removed /lib/libnss_{files,
> compat}.so.2 to avoid bash segfaults. Only problem is that some
> programs (sysvinit and util-linux) wont 'make install' because
> 'whoami' wont return the username. Does anybody have any suggestions?
> How exactly does whoami find the username? I was thinking that maybe i
> have a malformed /etc/passwd file but i can find nothing wrong with
> it. Anyway, here it is:

There's nothing wrong with your /etc/passwd file, but the libnss files
are used by whoami. You could backup your whoami and replace it with a
script that alays returns root. But if i'm wondering if you ain't get
other problems with those libnss removed. If i were u i would read the
threads about glibc 2.3 and bash again, and wait with using glibc 2.3
until there's is a proper solution found for this problem.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org