whoami: cannot find username for UID 0

da02043 da02043 at mail.ikasths.dk
Fri Oct 11 06:19:31 PDT 2002

On Friday 11 October 2002 03:02 pm, you wrote:
> hi
>
> > > Only problem is that some programs
> > > (sysvinit and util-linux) wont 'make install' because 'whoami' wont
> > > return the username. Does anybody have any suggestions?
>
> i used: alias whoami='echo "root"' as a dirty hack. already needed that for
> sh-utils package (didnt reach sysvinit/util-linux by now) to also build and
> install the su binary. i also had problems with netkit-base (which uses
> install -o root) and had to copy over the libnss stuff to the chroot env
> for that. how could you build these packages without such workarounds?

I havent gotten that far yet :-) I am concentrating on getting the basic and
essential packages installed first. Stuff like networking and the likes have
been put on hold until later.

I am just trying to build ch6 packages to make it rebuild itself. That way i
have a glibc-2.3 based LFS and then these hacks should not be needed. (
right?? anyone?? ).

Ofcourse i could just wait for a glibc-2.3 based distro to come out and then
it should be smooth sailing.

John Nielsen
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org