Possible solution to glibc problem (again)

Tushar T tush at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 11 08:06:28 PDT 2002

da02043 wrote:

>A solution is to configure glibc with --enable-static-nss.  In this case you
>can create a static binary that will use only the services dns and files
>(change /etc/nsswitch.conf for this).  You need to link explicitly against
>all these services. For example:
>
>  gcc -static test-netdb.c -o test-netdb \
>    -Wl,--start-group -lc -lnss_files -lnss_dns -lresolv -Wl,--end-group

The problem is that the glibc on the host distro won't have the static
glibc libraries (libnss_dns.a & libnss_files.a). So we need to compile
glibc-2.3 on the host distro (maybe with a different prefix, say ~lfs).
glibc-2.3 requires gcc-3.2, hence you will need to compile gcc before
glibc. And just to be safe, binutils. After doing all this if you try to
link bash against glibc-2.3, it starts complaining coz the host ncurses
is linked against a different glibc version that is not compatible. So
finally you end up installing lot of packages with --prefix=~lfs before
starting Chapter 5.

>I dont remember if this has been suggested before, but if it has im sorry for
>the noise it made on the list....

http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-dev/2002/10/0084.html

Don't worry, everyone is trying hard to solve the mystery:)

--
Tushar Teredesai
LFS ID: 1377

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org