Where to store the downloaded software

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Fri Oct 11 12:14:58 PDT 2002

The section "Where to store the downloaded software" still recommends
$LFS/usr/src as place for the tarballs although this doesn't exist until
chapter 6. I think the whole section should be moved right before
"Packages that need to be downloaded" (now Chapter 3), because that's
where it belongs logically.
This still leaves the problem that $LFS/usr/src doesn't exist (in fact
$LFS isn't mounted until chapter 4, so I think it would make sense to swap
chapter 3 and 4 and to put "Creating the $LFS/static directory" either at
the end of the new chapter 3 or the beginning of the new chapter 4
(changing "As explained in this chapter's introduction" to "As will be
explained later"), so that it's done right after mounting. So the changed
TOC would look like this (changed lines marked with *):

     2. Important information
        About $LFS
        About SBUs
*       <moved>
        How to install the software
        Which Platform?
        How to ask for help

II. Part II - Installing the LFS system

*    3. Preparing a new partition
        Introduction
        Creating a new partition
        Creating a file system on the new partition
        Mounting the new partition
*       Creating the $LFS/static directory

*    4. Downloading packages
        Introduction
*       Where to store the downloaded software
        Packages that need to be downloaded

    5. Preparing the LFS system

        Introduction
        Why do we use static linking?
*       <moved>
        Install all software as an unprivileged user

MSB

--
Modesty marks the wise.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org