"where possible" ?

IvanK. chepati at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 11 13:21:07 PDT 2002

Does LFS build on other than x86 platforms? Yes.  Do some (even if few) people
do it? Yes.  Do we want these people asking the same question on the lists
time after time?  No.  Is the platforms section the appropriate place to
mention that LFS could be built on other platforms?  It's my strictly humble
and personal opinion that yes, this is the best place.

Remember, the book never deals with building LFS on anything other than x86
later, nor does it provide information about different bootloaders.  And
that's how it should be.

But the platforms section is needed if only to link to hints on building LFS
for alpha/mips/ppc/sparc, what have you.  This way non-x86 people will know
early on where to obtain the necessary information, and x86 people will
proceed without being encumbered with irrelevant instructions.

Therefore I move to support leaving the platforms section unchanged.  Perhaps
we can change the wording a bit.  Something like:
"As information on building LFS for other platforms becomes available, links
to hints will be included on this page."

Thanks,
IvanK.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org