Procps

Mark Hymers markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Oct 12 16:09:54 PDT 2002

On Sat, 12, Oct, 2002 at 02:15:29PM -0700, Jesse Tie-Ten-Quee spoke thus..
> Yo,
>
> On Sat, Oct 12, 2002 at 11:08:59PM +0200, Matthias Benkmann wrote:
> > Interesting. Why don't you mail the maintainers of the two packages to ask
> > them about this and then post your results on lfs-dev.
>
> I was recently told that the two projects were not going to be working
> together.  And the version on surriel is a fork by Rik van Riel.  The
> original version got turned into the project on sf, afaik.
>
> However, consider that all the above rumors however.  It would be nice
> to know whom is using what.  iirc both Debian and RH are using the one
> from Riel.
>
> [no flaming if any of the above is incorrect, ok? :)]

Heh.  Here's what Al Viro said about it on LKML...

====
On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, Brandon Low wrote:

> Hey, I just saw the recent announcement of procps-3.0.1 on the mailing
> list by the procps.sourceforge.net team, what is the status of these
> two
> projects, there are features in each that are very nice, the
> versioning is
> confusing, and inconsistant, and the package names are the same...
>
> Kinda hoping to learn which tree a distribution developer should
> follow,
> etc.

Simple: Albert's one is, well, Albert's.  If it gets into sarge, procps
gets on hold on my boxen, so I'm not too concerned...

I would (read: will) go with Rik's variant - unlike Albert he got taste.
YMMV.
====

But it does mean we have to decide which one to use.

Mark

"I never make predictions.  I never have and I never will."
     Tony Blair
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org