grub and alpha tar

Seth W. Klein sk at sethwklein.net
Sun Oct 13 06:24:46 PDT 2002

Ian Molton <spyro at f2s.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Oct 2002 22:25:58 +0000 (UTC)
> sk at sethwklein.net ("Seth W. Klein") wrote:
>
> > The point
> > is that you don't loose your kernel image when you sneeze at it and
> > forget to rerun lilo.
>
> Am I the only one here who has NEVER managed to do this?

/me bows :P

You do realize you're implying that people who support grub do so
because they forget to rerun lilo, don't you? I take no offense, but
you weaken your argument that way.

If i understand, what you intend to say is that rerunning lilo is
trivial. As FAQ maintainer, i don't agree with that, but for the sake
of discussion lets say it's so.

Let's say the disadvantages of lilo are trivial. Grub has the
corresponding (we're saying trivial) advantages. So lilo looses
there. And grub has other advantages like being able to look for
kernel images or other files and view text files. You say these are
useful only to those who mess up their systems. I find that hard to
believe, but either way makes little difference. Grub still wins.
And grub has fewer dependencies. Another win for grub.

Since i support grub, i am perhaps not lilo's best advocate. So i
finish with this: Make the case for lilo. What does lilo have that
grub doesn't?

cheers,
Seth W. Klein
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org