patch description missing for gcc

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Sun Oct 13 09:28:58 PDT 2002

On Sun, 13 Oct 2002 16:24:43 +0100 Mark Hymers
<markh at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> > I just notice that it is in chapter 5. Is it general policy not to
> > repeat patch descriptions? I think a lot of people regard chapter 5 as
> > the less important chapter (the system built with it is a dirty
> > temporary hack) and use chapter 6 for reference. So patch descriptions
> > should be in chapter 6.
>
> AIUI if we use the same patch or options (e.g. --enable-blah) in chapter
> 5 and 6, it's been the policy up to now not to repeat it.

Maybe this policy should be rethought regarding patches. The information
what a patch does is non-obvious and important. I think It belongs in
chapter 6 (which as I've said many people use for reference). The book
already repeats a lot of information that is IMHO much less interesting
(the dependencies for instance) and wastes much more space.

MSB

--
He who SHOUTS is always wrong.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org