patch description missing for gcc

Tushar T tush at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 13 10:36:42 PDT 2002

Matthias Benkmann wrote:

>On Sun, 13 Oct 2002 16:24:43 +0100 Mark Hymers
><markh at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
>

>>>I just notice that it is in chapter 5. Is it general policy not to
>>>repeat patch descriptions? I think a lot of people regard chapter 5 as
>>>the less important chapter (the system built with it is a dirty
>>>temporary hack) and use chapter 6 for reference. So patch descriptions
>>>should be in chapter 6.
>>>

>>AIUI if we use the same patch or options (e.g. --enable-blah) in chapter
>>5 and 6, it's been the policy up to now not to repeat it.
>>

>Maybe this policy should be rethought regarding patches. The information
>what a patch does is non-obvious and important. I think It belongs in
>chapter 6 (which as I've said many people use for reference). The book
>already repeats a lot of information that is IMHO much less interesting
>(the dependencies for instance) and wastes much more space.

On the same topic, there should be individual patches with a description
for each patch (not neccessarily in the book) rather than using a single
patch. When I wrote the hints, I followed the book's example of making a
mega patch for each version of the hint, but thru trial and error found
that individual patches are easier to manage.

--
Tushar Teredesai
LFS ID: 1377

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org