Ownership of kernel headers

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Sun Oct 13 14:33:45 PDT 2002

On Sun, 13 Oct 2002 17:11:18 -0400 (EDT) Bill maltby - LFS Related
<lfsbill at wlmcs.com> wrote:

> What about using the --same-owner command line parameter in tar?

Actually, this seems to be the default when extracting as root. At least
my tar insists on giving the extracted files the uid of the creator
(unfortunately this is often not root).
Furthermore --owner and --group seem to have no effect when extracting so
when extracting as root there seems to be no way to prevent files from
being assigned to a non-root account :-(

> if the numeric ID is not valid on the target, does that close the door?

No. The files will be owned by a user id without an account.

> Second thought is that the untar can be done in a *very* restricted
> directory (rwx------), user/groups changed while it is still there and
> then the target directory is moved to where you want. IOW

That is the only solution I see. This is why I suggested to add

chmod go-x $LFS

to the book as a security measure. This will protect everything that
happens on the $LFS partition and once LFS is finished there should remain
no non-root-owned files.

MSB

--
Join the Army, meet interesting people, kill them.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org