Vote: Grub vs LILO

Edward Pinski pinskie at physics.uc.edu
Mon Oct 14 18:34:58 PDT 2002

Hrm, this vote, what exactly is the use of it?  I mean if we needed to decide
a bootloader, which is already set in Gerard's mind, and even so, if you know
which bootloader you want, you're just going to use that one.  When I install
LFS on a sparc, do I use lilo, or do I even install bin86?  No, i don't even
think about touching them, and just skip them, and replace the lilo step w/
silo.  When LFSing a ppc, do I install lilo and bin86? yet again, no i dont,
I just install yaboot.  To put it in the least, do any of us on lfs-dev care
all that much about what the bootloader is?  It's about personal preference,
and if Somebody wants lilo, then they'll install lilo, if another person
wants grub, they'll install grub.  We shouldn't be trying to please the many,
we should just be trying to please one group.  The way to failure, is to try
to please everybody, though an easy way would just be to dedicated a chapter
of LFS to installing lilo/nasm/bin86 or grub or silo or yaboot, etc.  That
way we wouldn't have to have this vote.  If you want to know where I stand
on this vote, I dont.  I'll vote for neither or both, and not care which one
goes into the book, and just continuing LFSin the way i've been for the past
year.  And to all you one sided people, walk a mile in the other person's
shoes.  See how they feel about liking a different bootloader, and then
you'll see which bootloader really should be in the book, both.

Edward Pinski
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org