Glibc 2.3.1 and Static Bash

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Tue Oct 15 04:22:26 PDT 2002

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 10:23:10 +0200 (MET DST) "Florian FERNANDEZ"
<Florian.Fernandez2 at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> It's just to know if the "Segmentation Fault" bug of Bash is actually
> resolved.

This is not a bug. This is an incompatibility. IIRC some functions got
exported by glibc that never should have been exported. The new glibc
fixes this problem at the cost of compatibility.

> And what are the bash mainteners are doing for that ?

Nothing. It's a glibc issue. And the glibc maintainers will not "fix"
this, because they intentionally broke it in the first place.
There is a patch to restore the old behaviour and I've heard Redhat uses
it, but LFS will not use this patch because using clean sources has higher
priority for LFS than compatibility with binaries.

Several workarounds for the issue have been devised. See the thread
"glibc-2.3.1".

MSB

--
goto doesn't screw up programs.