diskusage and 'gcc -s'

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Tue Oct 15 04:33:12 PDT 2002

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002 22:14:02 -0500 Archaic <archaic at comcast.net> wrote:

> Well, I just finished an LFS-3.3 using the chapter separtation like
> LFS-4.0. I wanted to keep track of the highest point in diskusage during
> the scripted build. Not knowing a pretty way to do it I just ran:
>
> df -h |grep hda2 >>diskusage && sleep 3
>
> continuously about a billion times. :)

OMG! How large was the file at the end?

> It worked, however dirty it is,
> and I came up with 437MB as the high point (building the kernel). The
> way I build is to use mount --bind and I delete the source prior to
> building the next package to keep diskusage down and prevent re-using a
> dirty source tree. If I put the tarballs on the LFS partition itself it
> adds ~104 MB and if i assume LFS-4.0 is 30% larger, then 104 + 568 =
> 672. That's quite a savings now that we use export CC='gcc -s' and
> perhaps the book should reflect the lower requirements?
>
> Also, if we don't export CXX='g++ -s' then GCC builds a lot of stuff not
> stripped.  Groff uses CCC=g++ so for that we could also export or just:
> make CCC='g++ -s' && make install. IIRC, someone already mentioned the
> Bzip install in chapter 5 needed the -s manually added. Also, Bzip2 in
> chapter 6 seems to ignore the fact that CC was exported. I got around
> that by adding CC= to both the make -f Makefile-libbz2_so and make
> commands. I'm rebuilding as we speak with a global export of CC, CXX,
> and CCC to see how it goes, along with the manual passing of CC to
> bzip2. I'll post the results as soon as I'm finished.

Isn't there a "low disk space" hint where information like this could go?
I can't find it so I might just have imagined such a thing exists. Anyway,
such a thing would be good to have. Care to write it?
It could also mention thinks like "make bootstrap-lean" (IIRC this target
makes gcc take less disk space during bootstrap) and it could be a new
home for the non-obsolete information from the
keep_chap5_and_chap6_separate hint (which aside from the /static chapter 5
process that has been included in LFS 4.0 also includes instructions how
to keep the _extracted_ sources on a different partition, e.g. a CDROM to
save even more space than you can save by having the tarballs stored
externally).

MSB

--
I am Pentium of Borg. Precision is futile.
Prepare to be approximated!

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org