diskusage and 'gcc -s'

Archaic archaic at comcast.net
Tue Oct 15 14:07:29 PDT 2002

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 01:33:12PM +0200, Matthias Benkmann wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Oct 2002 22:14:02 -0500 Archaic <archaic at comcast.net>
> wrote:
> > df -h |grep hda2 >>diskusage && sleep 3
> >
> > continuously about a billion times. :)
>
> OMG! How large was the file at the end?

Hehe. Don't worry, I was there to hit Ctrl-C before I filled the HD. :)

> Isn't there a "low disk space" hint where information like this could
> go?  I can't find it so I might just have imagined such a thing
> exists. Anyway, such a thing would be good to have. Care to write it?

Aside from what I've already written, I don't know much else. I don't
have the time I need to help the community as much as I want. :( If it's
worth it i could put that stuff into a hint and send it, but since we
are now using gcc -s in the book, I figured it would make sense to add
g++ -s as well.

> "make bootstrap-lean"

These are the types of thing of which I know not. :( All I do is install
one locale, dump gettext and ed. Could probably dump kbd, but some of
the utilities may be useful later on, so I don't. Then I mount --bind
and --strip-all the bins. Not much of a hint, IMO.

BTW, are kernel modules strippable (debug symbols, that is)?

> the non-obsolete information from the keep_chap5_and_chap6_separate
> hint

Until 3.3 disappears, that entire hint is still valid and quite
informative. :) Maybe a hint is forming in the mist. If enough people
share their low diskusage tweaks, I can write it up.

--
Archaic

--
Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists
precisely in this; that he does good not because he is forced to do so,

- Mikhail Bakunin

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org