Error compiling Zlib 1.1.4

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar at speakeasy.net
Thu Oct 17 22:48:58 PDT 2002

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Matthias Benkmann wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 21:14:42 +0200 (MET DST) "Florian FERNANDEZ"
> <Florian.Fernandez2 at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>
> > /usr/include/stdio.h:34:21: stddef.h: No such file or directory
>
> This is part of the linux headers. Make sure you have installed them
> correctly. I'm not sure but if you had not installed them correctly it
> could be that you may have to start over with chapter 6. I don't know if
> glibc compiles properly if the linux headers are not installed properly.

Actually, I'd be somewhat suprised if glibc would even compile well enough
to pass it's own self-tests without kernel headers in the proper place.
I've no idea what glibc might decide the system actually is in such a
situation.  *shudder*

Hey Florian!
  From looking at the emails I'm guessing you might be a bit confused
about what we mean when we refer to kernel headers.  In this case it's not
_just_ the kernel source in /usr/src/linux that matters.  You need to make
copies of what's in /usr/src/linux/include/linux and
/usr/src/linux/include/asm as /usr/include/asm and /usr/include/linux.

See Chapter 6's "Installing Linux-2.4.19"...

[cd /usr/src/linux]

   mkdir /usr/include/asm , cp include/asm/* /usr/include/asm and cp -R
   include/asm-generic /usr/include: These commands copy the
   platform-specific assembler kernel header files to /usr/include/asm
   and /usr/include/asm-generic.

   cp -R include/linux /usr/include: This command copies the
   cross-platform kernel header files to /usr/include.

Question to editors:  Is copying /usr/include/asm-generic _really_
necessary?  Every single one of those files has an equivalent in each
processor-specific directory and afaik they're only useful if you're
porting the kernel to another processor (see the comments at the top of
any of 'em).  In fact, I've _never_ copied asm-generic over at all.
Possibly a brutal grep through source trees to see if anything has any
'include <asm-generic/*>' statements in it might be in order...

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org