grub and alpha tar

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Oct 18 09:44:41 PDT 2002

On October 10, 2002 05:35 pm, Paul Roberts wrote:
> ...and yes, great, you can pick your own kernel at boot time without
> having to add a menu entry for it.  How many people actually need (or
> would even _use_) that feature?  Most people would _not_ be using
> it--it's likely the vast majority would never need it.

Actually that was the one and only feature that made me switch from Lilo to
Grub about 6 months ago. With all the LFS test builds I do and reboots and
what not it's a pain to constantly have to update LILO after I make some
change or I happened to have installed LFS on a different than usual
partition. In Grub I just hit the 'e' key twice to edit the appropriate item
and change the location where a kernel is found. Done. I can boot from a
bootable cdrom after the MBR is screwed up (MS Windows has a tendency to do
that) but I don't need to use the kernel from the cdrom to boot my Linux
system. It won't be compatible because my rescue cdrom's kernel lacks certain
drivers that I need to boot my LFS system. Instead I edit the Grub menu on
the cdrom on-the-fly tell it to book the kernel from my LFS partition, boot
LFS, then run Grub from LFS to fix my MBR. Saves a reboot or two if you had
to do this with Lilo (i'd use bootcd's lilo to boot my LFS with
init=/bin/bash to rerun /sbin/lilo on LFS to reboot LFS properly).

But yes I do admit I don't represent the majority of users out there (though
I'd love to, it would making decisions regarding LFS book matters a lot
easier. Whatever I think would automatically go. How lovely that'd be eh ;o)
but I thought I bring this time saver up as as extra pro-Grub argument.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org