grub and alpha tar

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Oct 18 09:48:12 PDT 2002

On October 12, 2002 05:03 pm, Ian Molton wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Oct 2002 22:25:58 +0000 (UTC)
>
> sk at sethwklein.net ("Seth W. Klein") wrote:
> > The point
> > is that you don't loose your kernel image when you sneeze at it and
> > forget to rerun lilo.
>
> Am I the only one here who has NEVER managed to do this?

Seems so yes. I got stuck a few times and needed to whip out my Debian
bootable cdrom that ran a 2.0 kernel so I could boot some kind of Linux
system, then mounting LFS partition, chroot, run grub, phew MBR fixed again.

Of course my second time that didn't work. My LFS partition was reiserfs
(still is actually) and the 2.0 kernel didn't know about it. So I had to use
my router to fix me: pulled out its hdd put in workstation, booted from it,
mounted LFS from 2nd hdd and fixed MBR on 2nd hdd.

Man that was a major PITA.

Now that problem is simple non-existant. Any bootable medium with Grub on it
can load any kernel from any partition (just make sure you put the proper
stage files in your grub installation so it can access reiserfs and the like
partitions)

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org