suggestion: protect users (root) from themselves

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Oct 18 10:38:15 PDT 2002

On October 11, 2002 11:17 pm, Eric wrote:
> Although I have setup many LFS systems before, I just repeated a very
> newbie-like mistake which I've made several times before.  The creation of
> the LFS user's .bash_profile (cat > ~/.bash_profile << "EOF") is on the
> same page as several commands which are supposed to be run as root (adding
> the lfs user and assigning ownership of the $LFS/static directory).  Yes,
> you guessed right. . . I overwrote /home/root/.bash_profile (again).
> Obviously, the moral of the story is "don't do that!", but I think it might
> be a little more user friendly if the .bash_profile creation either used
>
> cat > ~lfs/.bash_profile << "EOF"
>        ^^^

Actually that's not a bad idea, I made the change.

As well, I've changed the wording in the preceding paragraph. It used to say
"Now you can login as the "lfs" user" which isn't exactly what we want to
convey: you have to login as the lfs user to continue with the rest of the
chapter. So that's what I essentially wrote.

> I really love the LFS project, thanks for such a great resource.

No problem, glad you're enjoying it :)

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org